Best baklava in Istanbul ( also the shobiyet )
If Baklava is not consumed on the day of production; everyday it gets soggy a 5 – 10% ; and yet some of them already come soggy. When you bite the fine baklava it talks to you; you should hear the breaking of the layers.
I prefer the baklava of two places in Istanbul; Hamdi Restaurant next to Spice Market has got its own seperate daily baklava manufactury and if I show up by 12.30 – 1 pm that ensures I get the right stuff. Though I like Sobiyet (: shobiyet ) better , this one has hot a thin daily milk cream ( kaymak) layer in it, you can’t tell.
I came across with one visitor, among many who admired it highly, saying “I want to cry now.”
The other one is at least as good; Canak (Chanak ) Restaurant in Acibadem district of Asiatic ıstanbul, accessible from kadikoy by public transport. Exact same feelings here ; and plus, katmer, a version of baklava with less layering, served warm , made to order is available.
I would avoid a place if baklava is not sold out by late afternoon , evening; or else they will sell it the following day. since this is not an every day – week desert for me, I only always eat it in these two places and occasionally at Gulluoglu of Karakoy. Gulluoglu feels like a larger scale production and still almost as good.
I have tried other places enogh times to realise on and off they sell baklava left over from the previous day; and I know in the first two places baklava usually finishes and not available in the late afternoon. Try baklava with walnut for a change, although mainstream taste is one with pistachio in it.
Hamdi is also my favorite for ( lamb and beef) kebab with pistachio, and infidel mountain salad. You are not entitled to talk about these bites without trying these places.
add on : My mother is from Gaziantep, and I spent proper time in Gaziantep to communicate on baklava 🙂
No comments yet.
- Best baklava in Istanbul ( also the shobiyet )
- Off the beaten Path Private tours in Istanbul
- Deaf servants of the Turkish Parliament and the Ottoman Empire
- Acitivities for your kids in Istanbul
- 2012 – Ottoman Mehter Band Performance nearby Blue Mosque
- Statistical info on my blog
- Did Amazons live in Turkey?
- At a Short Glance – Mosque visit procedures , finer restaurants etc
- Few words on the new James Bond movie to be filmed in Turkey, and open invitation to movie makers for incredible Istanbul action movie sequences
- Is there a finer Bosphorus cruise in Istanbul?
- summer 2011 ( from March 2011 on ) new museum operating times for Istanbul
- Photos of Oguz Kosebalaban inc. various Trips – USA , Egypt , Turkey