Istanbul to Ankara, Adana
Toll road makes it extremely safe with seperate 2 or 3 lanes for each side of the traffic . It is available all the way between Istanbul and Ankara . Ankara to Aksaray ( on the way to South towards Adana ) is a no fee “duble yol ” meaning double road , meaning two lanes for each side. After Aksaray, there is a portion one needs to take to toll road around Pozanti, it is unwise not to take the toll road, the free road ” free state road ” is curvy, not as safe, takes much longer time, not well maintained ( potholes ) , but scenic.
One would drive from Istanbul to Ankara in 4.5 hours with about the speed limt of 130km , if you speed up you can do the distance in 3 hours with speeds around 160km , but there are radar traps and you may get a ticket.
There is a good Turkey ( road ) mapyou may want to print at http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/karten/karte-1-590.gif “click here” to view .
On the map, after Adana, driving through Konya to Istanbul looks like a short cut, but do not do it, because you end up losing time, and being on roads not as great as the multy lane comfort roads of the one , that is the choice of common sense bus or truck driver’s choice as well as sedans or suv’s.
Adana to Ankara is about 6 hour driving, Ankara to Istanbul is about 4 hour ,this is by car, safe driving speed, within limits: But that is too long ; to make it safe it should not be done one shot. There are hotels in Cappadocia some of which are inexpensive , and the world goes to see it there. One or two overnights in Urgup or Goreme towns are recommended.
If you will choose a 1- 2 day break on the way before Istanbul, the Goreme area ( Cappadocia ) of Nevsehir City is a prime visitor’s interest site in Turkey , and it is almost on the way. Google it , see some photos ; and the formations there attract visitor’s from all around the world, and it is almost on your way, try to make it. Easy. In that case, after Adana , on the road signs after Pozanti, look for Nigde, then head for Nevsehir, and then Goreme. The deluxe rock cut hotels like Gamirasu are awesome, though there are the regular 5 stars or less expensive lodging as well.
Istanbul Ankara : 430km 4.5 hours
No comments yet.
- Best baklava in Istanbul ( also the shobiyet )
- Off the beaten Path Private tours in Istanbul
- Deaf servants of the Turkish Parliament and the Ottoman Empire
- Acitivities for your kids in Istanbul
- 2012 – Ottoman Mehter Band Performance nearby Blue Mosque
- Statistical info on my blog
- Did Amazons live in Turkey?
- At a Short Glance – Mosque visit procedures , finer restaurants etc
- Few words on the new James Bond movie to be filmed in Turkey, and open invitation to movie makers for incredible Istanbul action movie sequences
- Is there a finer Bosphorus cruise in Istanbul?
- summer 2011 ( from March 2011 on ) new museum operating times for Istanbul
- Photos of Oguz Kosebalaban inc. various Trips – USA , Egypt , Turkey