If Baklava is not consumed on the day of production; everyday it gets soggy a 5 – 10% ; and yet some of them already come soggy. When you bite the fine baklava it talks to you; you should hear the breaking of the layers.
I prefer the baklava of two places in Istanbul; Hamdi Restaurant next to Spice Market has got its own seperate daily baklava manufactury and if I show up by 12.30 – 1 pm that ensures I get the right stuff. Though I like Sobiyet (: shobiyet ) better , this one has hot a thin daily milk cream ( kaymak) layer in it, you can’t tell.
I came across with one visitor, among many who admired it highly, saying “I want to cry now.”
The other one is at least as good; Canak (Chanak ) Restaurant in Acibadem district of Asiatic ıstanbul, accessible from kadikoy by public transport. Exact same feelings here ; and plus, katmer, a version of baklava with less layering, served warm , made to order is available.
I would avoid a place if baklava is not sold out by late afternoon , evening; or else they will sell it the following day. since this is not an every day – week desert for me, I only always eat it in these two places and occasionally at Gulluoglu of Karakoy. Gulluoglu feels like a larger scale production and still almost as good.
I have tried other places enogh times to realise on and off they sell baklava left over from the previous day; and I know in the first two places baklava usually finishes and not available in the late afternoon. Try baklava with walnut for a change, although mainstream taste is one with pistachio in it.
Hamdi is also my favorite for ( lamb and beef) kebab with pistachio, and infidel mountain salad. You are not entitled to talk about these bites without trying these places.
add on : My mother is from Gaziantep, and I spent proper time in Gaziantep to communicate on baklava 🙂
Hi! My name is Oguz Kosebalaban. Tour guide and travel writer. As of August 2013 this blog welcomed over 20000 visitors: I mainly provide first hand travel advise from my tour experiences working lately mainly in Istanbul, Cappadocia and Ephesus.
A quick note on the private tours I offer : Before browsing my travel articles below are some sample from my specially tailored tours I offer affiliated with certified Tursab member travel agencies. These tours cover the need mainly for tours covering less touristy sites exploring rare but worthwhile sites of Istanbul. Also added are some of the tours for Istanbul and Ephesus highlights with a more attentive plan. You may Click on the images, or skip to the following articles. At the end of the page is the “previous entries” link to read my previous articles.
You may click on this following link in blue letters , which is a pdf Istanbul tour file : It introduces one of my rare Istanbul walking tours which can be combined with my popular Istanbul lay over program:
- Best baklava in Istanbul ( also the shobiyet )
- Off the beaten Path Private tours in Istanbul
- Deaf servants of the Turkish Parliament and the Ottoman Empire
- Acitivities for your kids in Istanbul
- 2012 – Ottoman Mehter Band Performance nearby Blue Mosque
- Statistical info on my blog
- Did Amazons live in Turkey?
- At a Short Glance – Mosque visit procedures , finer restaurants etc
- Few words on the new James Bond movie to be filmed in Turkey, and open invitation to movie makers for incredible Istanbul action movie sequences
- Is there a finer Bosphorus cruise in Istanbul?
- summer 2011 ( from March 2011 on ) new museum operating times for Istanbul
- Photos of Oguz Kosebalaban inc. various Trips – USA , Egypt , Turkey